Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year!
Here are a few quick links to reference:
Grades 4 and 5:
Mr. Sandstrom’s Group: 12:30-1:15
Ms. Kelley’s Group: 1:15-1:45
Mrs. Halley’s Group: 1:45-2:15
Mrs. Martin’s Group: 2:15-2:45
Grades 6 to 8:
Please go to your Teams calendar to join our virtual meetings.
During this difficult time, we urge you to keep the learning going at home. We are your partners! Please refer to your child’s teacher page for guidance. If your child has worked with me and would like to do a virtual check-in, I am always available during school hours. Send me an email, so we can set up an day/time.
Mrs. Adrey Ocampo
Suggestions for distance learning at home:
- After breakfast, check the teacher page to make a plan for the day. What lessons do I need to complete now? What lessons will take more time?
- If there are lessons that require more than one day, get out a calendar and mark the due dates. Count the number of days you have to work and decide on mini-benchmarks along the way.
- Pick a scheduled time each day to do schoolwork- for example if you decide on 2-3 hours to do schoolwork, then your work time will be between 9-noon or 1-4pm. You decide the time based on your child’s age.
- Find a quiet, distraction-free zone to focus on school. Put the devise in another room, so you are not distracted.
- Maintain a daily schedule that is agreed upon by the family. School time, then a break, then walk the dog.
- Factor in breaks throughout the day to relax and have down time.
- Read, read, and read some more! Now is the time to tackle the stack of books you’ve been eager to read.
- Enjoy the fresh air outside!
For twenty years, I have worked as a special education teacher as well as classroom teacher. At St. John School I have taught kindergarten, third, fourth, and fifth grades. I am now taking on the role of a Learning Specialist on the Student Support Team. I will be working on teaching fundamental reading and writing skills to fourth to sixth graders. In seventh to eighth grades, we work on writing and executive functioning skills. The delivery model of services will range from working alongside the classroom teacher to pulling kids out and working in small groups for individualized instruction. Students will be monitored for progress over the course of year. As assessment data is gathered, the best model for instruction will be achieved and students will grow! I am a firm believer in empowering students to believe in themselves and their gifts from God.
Another part of my job will be to facilitate the new Makerspace. Come check us out!